Mr. Herman represents cities in a variety of areas while also maintaining a general practice including but not limited to Real Estate transactions, Employment and Labor Law, and Civil Litigation.
In addition to legal services, Mr. Herman is available to consult cities on general management/operation questions/issues, goal settings, and other operational matters.
Mr. Herman practiced law for 12 years, from 1994 through June 2006 before being hired as Monticello City Administrator where he worked continuously until December 2020. During his time as City Administrator, Mr. Herman also acted as primary legal counsel for the city of Monticello.
Mr. Herman has touched all aspects of city representation and has a keen understanding of the political consequences and considerations of city operations.
- Lincoln Graduate School (Real Estate Appraisal License, 2001)
- Hamline University School of Law (J.D., 1994)
- Luther College (B.A., 1990)
Active or formerly active in the following organizations:
- Jones County Bar Association
- Linn County Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association, Government and Employment Law Practice Groups
- Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association
- Iowa City Management Association (IaCMA)
- Iowa League of Cities
Additional Biographical Information
- Lake Delhi Combined Recreational and Water Quality District Board (President - current)
- Kirkwood Community College, Monticello Regional Eduation Center, Adjunct Instructor (Three Semesters)
- Monticello Rotary Club (1995-2020), two terms as President
- Monticello Area Chamber of Commerce, past Board Member
- Monticello Library Board, past Board Member
- Monticello Park and Recreation Board, past Board Member
- Junior Achievement, past volunteer
- Sacred Heart School Board, past Board Member