Ms. Reasner’s general practice includes labor and employment law, insurance defense, and internal investigations.
As an investigator, whe was involved in multiple high profile workplace and public investigations in 2022.Ms. Reasner has a long record of success in advocating for her clients, and spends nearly as much time advising and strategizing with her clients to solve their problems as she does litigating on their behalf.
She frequently serves as counsel to in-house attorneys and human resource professionals on policies and procedures, leaves of absence and attendance issues, hiring and terminations, reductions in force, employment contracts including non-compete and separation agreements.
She understands that her clients want to avoid contentious disputes and focus on their core business, so her first priority is steering her clients clear of litigation. She also trains workforces with regard to legal compliance and best practices to ensure a healthy workplace culture and to proactively avoid employment claims.
In addition, Ms. Reasner is often retained by employers to conduct internal investigations on a variety of employment related matters such as discrimination, harassment, and ethics and policy violations. Her experience allows her to investigate discreetly and effectively without disrupting an organization’s operations and atmosphere.
Finally, as an employment attorney for nearly 20 years, Ms. Reasner has been selected as a mediator in a variety of workplace disputes.
- The University of Iowa (J.D., 2001) with distinction
- The University of Iowa (B.A., 1993)
Active or formerly active in the following organizations:
- Willis Dady Homeless Services, Board member (Current)
- Appointed as a Board Member to the Iowa Finance Authority by Governor Kim Reynolds (term 5/1/2019 to 4/30/2025).
- Cedar Rapids Bank & Trust, Board of Directors (current)
- Commissioner, Iowa Department of Transportation appointed by Governor Chet Culver (2008-2012) and reappointed by Governor Terry Branstad (2012 - 2016)
- Linn County Bar Association, President (7/2018 to 6/2019) Member (7/2017 to Present)
- Guaranty Bank & Trust Co., Board of Directors (2009-2017)
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Iowa Chapter
- Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association, Member
- League of Women Voters, Member
- UnityPoint St. Luke's Hospital Board of Directors (2012 - 2017)
Additional Biographical Information
- Former Cedar Rapids Broadcast Journalist
- Linn County Bar Association Citizenship award 2022
- Recognized as a Corridor Top 250 Leader, Corridor Business Journal (2022)
- Recognized as a "Woman of Influence," Corridor Business Journal (2011)
- Recognized in 40 under 40 Community Leaders, Corridor Business Journal (2007)
- Leadership for Five Seasons graduate, Cedar Rapids Chamber of Commerce (2005-2006)
Cases and Experience
- Rheeder v. City of Marion, et al (Iowa Ct. App. 2021) (interlocutory appeal granted, successfully defended an employer's right to protect a confidential, attorney-client privileged investigation report when an employer does not rely on the report in a lawsuit.)
- Horn v. Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, Inc. et al, 2020 WL 420834 (N.D. Iowa, 2020) (representing Siemens, summary judgment granted in a wrongful discharge case.)
- Deeds v. City of Marion, Iowa, 914 N.W. 2d 330 (Iowa 2018) (successfully defended city on claims of disability discrimination involving applicant for fire fighter position with symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS)).
- Edwards v. Clinton County, Iowa et al (Clinton Co. Iowa February 16, 2018) (Representing the County with Holly A. Corkery, summary judgment granted to County in gender discrimination case).
- Millard v. City of Clinton, Iowa (S.D. Iowa 2016) (with Patrick J. O’Connell, summary judgment granted to City in disability discrimination case).
- Avnet, Inc. v. Catalyst Resource Group, LLC and David Wild, 791 F.3d 899 (8th Cir. 2015) (successfully defended Avnet on appeal regarding the assignability of a guaranty for a promissory note).
- Basquin v. City of Fairbank, Iowa, 847 N.W. 2d 236 (Iowa Ct. App. 2014) (successfully defended City on snowmobile injury caused by pedestrian footbridge tethering cable).
- Kallail v. Alliant Energy Corporate Services, 691 F.3d 925 (8th Cir. 2012) (successfully defended employer with Wilford H. Stone on disability claim involving shift rotation and accommodation request).
- Newberry v. Burlington Basket Co., 622 F.3d 979 (8th Cir. 2010), cert. denied 131 S. Ct. 1697 (U.S. 2011)(jury verdict affirmed).
- Heaton v. The Weitz Co. Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. Lexis 51219 (N.D. Iowa July 2007) aff’d 543 F.3d 882 (8th Cir. 2008)(jury verdict affirmed).
- Kratzer v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., et al, 295 F.Supp. 2d 1005 (N.D. Iowa 2003) (granting Defendant’s motion for summary judgment), aff’d 398 F.3d 1040 (8th Cir. 2005)(affirmed on appeal).
Presentations and Publications
- Performing an Effective and Defensible Internal Investigation - MRA Employment Law Update (2023)
- The HR Mistakes by Municipalities - Women Lead Change CEO Forum (ICAP Educational Sumitt, 2022)
- The Art of Documentation Employment Law Tips - ICAP (2021)
- COVID-19 Vaccinations and Employment Law Update - EIHRA (2021)
- Pandemic Hot Spots: Employment Law and the PPP (Marion Chamber of Commerce 2020, with Holly A. Corkery and Daniel M. Morgan)
- Be Conscious About Your Unconscious Bias - SHRM (2022)
- Workplace Threat Assessment Tools and Policies - EIHRA/SHRM (2017)
- Job Descriptions and Performance Reviews - IAPELRA (2017)