Wilford H. Stone
Mr. Stone’s general practice includes labor and employment law, insurance defense, and litigation.
Before joining Lynch Dallas, P.C., Mr. Stone was an attorney with the NLRB in Washington, D.C., and participated in dozens of appellate arguments in the federal courts. He has over 30 years of litigation experience, and has tried hundreds of cases before courts, juries, and arbitrators, and won dozens of cases on summary judgment.
Mr. Stone regularly represents management and has served as chief negotiator for dozens of Iowa cities and school districts in collective bargaining. In addition, Mr. Stone has litigated cases on behalf of private companies in a variety of commercial litigation and industries, including avionics, energy, health care, insurance and financial products, and manufacturing. He also has substantial experience in class action litigation, and has served as local counsel in a variety of federal court litigation.
Mr. Stone also spends a significant amount of time representing police officers and police departments on alleged excessive use of force, alleged misuse of electronic control devices and chemical and pepper sprays, officer involved shootings, and alleged unlawful search and seizure cases.
Cases and Experience
- McElree v City of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, et al., 372 F. Supp 3d 770 (N.D. Iowa 2019), on appeal to 8th Circuit (successful summary judgment for police officer on alleged excessive force in 2015 officer involved shooting).
- Jerime Eron Mitchell v City of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Officer Lucas Jones 926 N.W. 2d 222 (Iowa 2019)(represented police officer on appeal of discovery ruling denying protective order for police investigative reports in 2016 officer involved shooting). See also Harvard Law Review case law blog on the appeal: https://blog.harvardlawreview.org/recent-case-mitchell-v-city-of-cedar-rapids_/
- Nibeck v Cirkl and Kjormoe, City of Marion, Iowa police officers, (N.D. of Iowa 2018), affirmed unpublished (8th Cir. 2019)(successfully defended Marion police officers on section 1983 claims involving alleged violation of First Amendment rights and alleged arrest without warrant or probable cause; officers also entitled to qualified immunity).
- Fitzpatrick v Timmerman and Hayes et a, City of Bettendorf, Iowa police officers, (S.D. Iowa 2018), affirmed unpublished (8th Cir. 2019)(successfully defended Bettendorf police officers on section 1983 claim involving alleged warrantless search).
- Iole v. City of Marshalltown, Iowa (S.D. Iowa 2018) (successfully defended city on lawsuit over tactical operation involving tear gas and emergency response).
- Life Investors Insurance Co. of America v. Federal City Region, et. al., 878 F.3d 648 (8th Cir. 2018) (summary judgment for insurance company affirmed on appeal involving alleged breaches of fiduciary duties and conversion).
- Basquin v. City of Fairbank, Iowa, 847 N.W. 2d 236 (Iowa Ct. App. 2014) (successfully defended City on snowmobile injury caused by pedestrian footbridge tethering cable).
- Kallail v. Alliant Energy Corporate Services, 691 F.3d 925 (8th Cir. 2012) (successfully defended employer on disability claim involving shift rotation and accommodation request)
- Browder v. Aetna, Inc., 378 F. App. 591 (8th Cir. 2010) (successfully defended health insurance company on bad faith claim)
- Western Reserve Life (WRL)/AEGON USA Inc. vs. Bratton Financial Services International 464 F.Supp.2d 814 (N.D. Iowa 2006) (successful declaratory judgment on behalf of insurance company)
- Attorney's Process & Investigation Services Inc. v. Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa, 401 F.Supp.2d. 952 (N.D. of Iowa 2005); affirmed in relevant part, 609 F.3d 927 (8th Cir. 2010) (local counsel in successful preliminary injunction defense)
- Kratzer v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., 398 F.3d 1040 (8th Cir. 2005) (successfully defended employer on age, disability and retaliation claims)
- Horton v. Rockwell International Corporation, 93 F.Supp.2d. 1048 (N.D. Iowa 2000) (successfully defended age, race, and retaliation claims in failure to hire case)
- Buchholz v. Rockwell International Corporation, 120 F.3d 146 (8th Cir. 1997) (successfully defended employer on appeal of defense verdict on age discrimination claims)
- Georgetown University Law Center, Master of Labor Law (1987)
- The University of Iowa (J.D., 1984) with distinction
- Cornell University, New York State School of Industrial and Labor Relations (M.I.L.R., 1980)
- The College of Wooster (B.A., 1978)
Active or formerly active in the following organizations:
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Iowa Chapter
- ARC of East Central Iowa (Professional of the Year, 2005)
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Linn County
- Cedar Valley Humane Society
- Iowa Legal Aid (2010 Award for Pro Bono Service)
- Iowa Association of School Boards
- Iowa City/County Management Association
- Iowa League of Cities
- Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association
- Iowa Municipal Management Institute
- National Czech/Slovak Museum and Library
Additional Biographical Information
- Iowa Super Lawyers, 2019-2020, Employment and Labor Law
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, 2019-2020, Employment and Labor Law
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law, 2019-2020, Management and Litigation
- Arbitrator, Commercial and Employment panel, American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator, Iowa Public Employment Relations Board (1997-2007)
- Governor’s Volunteer Award, 2000 (Iowa Civil Rights Commission)
- Staff Counsel to the NLRB/Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation Branch, in Washington, D.C., from 1984-1987
Presentations and Publications
- Contributor, Human Resources Administration and Labor Relations update, Iowa Municipal Policy Leaders' Handbook, 2020.
- Defending law enforcement on claims of excessive force, 2019, Iowa League of Cities
- Legalized marijuana: off duty use, drug testing and the workplace, 2019, Iowa Public Sector Management Association
- Unlawful Harassment in the Workplace, Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance, March 2018
- Is it time to revamp antiquated city ordinances, policies, and practices, Iowa Municipal Managers Institute, 2017.
- Avoiding liability for slip and fall cases on city sidewalks, City Scape, Iowa League of Cities, October, 2016.
- Top 5 things City Managers/Administrators Should Know About Municipal Law, 2015