Amy L. Reasner
Ms. Reasner’s general practice includes the areas of labor and employment law, insurance defense, and internal investigations. She represents a wide range of clients including insurance companies, businesses and cities, counties and school districts. Ms. Reasner frequently assists employers in finding common sense solutions on day-to-day issues involving FMLA and other leaves of absence, employees with disabilities, and absenteeism issues as well as risk avoidance in matters involving employee hiring, discipline, and discharge. In addition, Ms. Reasner is often retained by employers to conduct internal investigations on a variety of employment related matters such as discrimination, harassment, and ethics and policy violations.
Ms. Reasner has tried multiple cases before courts, juries, and arbitrators in all types of business and employment disputes. She also regularly obtains summary judgment for her clients in employment law cases, and has successfully defended numerous cases on appeal. Finally, as an employment attorney for nearly 20 years, Ms. Reasner has been selected as a mediator in a variety of work place disputes. Attorneys who mediate with Ms. Reasner acknowledge not only her expertise and candor, but also her emphatic demeanor.
- Recognized as a "Woman of Influence," Corridor Business Journal (2011)
- Recognized in 40 under 40 Community Leaders, Corridor Business Journal (2007)
- Leadership For Five Seasons graduate, Cedar Rapids Chamber of Commerce (2005-2006)
Cases and Experience
- Horn v. Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, Inc. et al, 2020 WL 420834 (N.D. Iowa January 27, 2020) (representing Siemens, summary judgment granted in a wrongful discharge case.)
- Deeds v. City of Marion, Iowa, 914 N.W. 2d 330 (Iowa 2018) (successfully defended city on claims of disability discrimination involving applicant for fire fighter position with symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS)).
- Edwards v. Clinton County, Iowa et al, case no. LACV043383 (Clinton Co. Iowa February 16, 2018) (Representing the County with Holly A. Corkery, summary judgment granted to County in gender discrimination case).
- Millard v. City of Clinton, Iowa, case no. 3:15-cv-00045 (S.D. Iowa 2016) (with Patrick J. O’Connell, summary judgment granted to City in disability discrimination case).
- Avnet, Inc. v. Catalyst Resource Group, LLC and David Wild, 791 F.3d 899, (8th Cir. 2015) (successfully defended Avnet on appeal regarding the assignability of a guaranty for a promissory note).
- Basquin v. City of Fairbank, Iowa, 847 N.W. 2d 236 (Iowa Ct. App. 2014) (successfully defended City on snowmobile injury caused by pedestrian footbridge tethering cable).
- Kallail v. Alliant Energy Corporate Services, 691 F.3d 925 (8th Cir. 2012) (successfully defended employer with Wilford H. Stone on disability claim involving shift rotation and accommodation request).
- Newberry v. Burlington Basket Co., 622 F.3d 979 (8th Cir. 2010), cert. denied 131 S. Ct. 1697 (U.S. 2011)(jury verdict affirmed).
- Heaton v. The Weitz Co. Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. Lexis 51219 (N.D. Iowa July 2007) aff’d 543 F.3d 882 (8th Cir. 2008)(jury verdict affirmed).
- Kratzer v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., et al, 295 F.Supp. 2d 1005 (N.D. Iowa 2003) (granting Defendant’s motion for summary judgment), aff’d 398 F.3d 1040 (8th Cir. 2005)(affirmed on appeal).
- The University of Iowa (J.D., 2001) with distinction
- The University of Iowa (B.A., 1993)
Active or formerly active in the following organizations:
- Willis Dady Homeless Services, Board member (term 6/2020 - 6/2023)
- Appointed as a Board Member to the Iowa Finance Authority by Governor Kim Reynolds (term 5/1/2019 to 4/30/2025).
- Cedar Rapids Bank & Trust, Board of Directors (current)
- Commissioner, Iowa Department of Transportation appointed by Governor Chet Culver (2008-2012) and reappointed by Governor Terry Branstad (2012 - 2016)
- Linn County Bar Association, President (7/2018 to 6/2019) Member (7/2017 to 7/2020)
- Guaranty Bank & Trust Co., Board of Directors (2009-2017)
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- IASB Attorneys, Member
- Iowa Council of School Board Attorneys, Member
- Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association, Member
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member
- League of Women Voters, Member
- UnityPoint St. Luke's Hospital Board of Directors (2012 - 2017)
Additional Biographical Information
- Former Cedar Rapids Broadcast Journalist
- Linn County Trails Association, Past Member of Board of Directors (Vice President - 2007-2008)
- Junior League of Cedar Rapids, Past Member of Board of Directors
- College of Law Moot Court Board, Editor (2000-2001)
- Iowa Bar Association Graduating Senior Award (2001)
Presentations and Publications
- Pandemic Hot Spots: Employment Law and the PPP (Marion Chamber of Commerce 2020, with Holly A. Corkery and Daniel M. Morgan)
- Be Conscious About Your Unconscious Bias - University of Iowa College of Law Reunion Weekend CLE (2019)
- The Ins and Outs of Sexual and other types of Harassment – Various Seminars (2017)
- Workplace Threat Assessment Tools and Policies - EIHRA/SHRM (2017)
- Job Descriptions and Performance Reviews - IAPELRA (2017)
- Antiquated Ordinances, Policies and Procedures - Iowa Municipal Managers Institute (2017)
- Top 5 things City Managers/Administrators Should Know About Municipal Law (2015)