Amy L. Reasner
Ms. Reasner’s general practice includes the areas of labor and employment law, insurance defense, and internal investigations. She regularly represents a wide range of clients including insurance companies, businesses and cities, counties and school districts. Ms. Reasner has handled FMLA matters as well as risk avoidance in matters involving employee hiring, discipline, and discharge. Also an experienced trial lawyer, she defends employers in courts and before arbitrators in all types of matters. In addition, she is often retained by employers to conduct internal investigations on a variety of employment related matters such as discrimination, harassment, and ethics and policy violations.
- Recognized as a "Woman of Influence," Corridor Business Journal (2011)
- Recognized in 40 under 40 Community Leaders, Corridor Business Journal (2007)
- Leadership For Five Seasons graduate, Cedar Rapids Chamber of Commerce (2005-2006)
Cases and Experience
- Avnet, Inc. v. Catalyst Resource Group, LLC and David Wild, --- F.3d ---, 2015 Westlaw 4031901 (8th Cir. 2015) (representing Avnet, summary judgment to Avnet affirmed regarding the assignability of a guaranty for a promissory note).
- Basquin v. City of Fairbank, Iowa, 847 N.W. 2d 236 (Iowa Ct. App. 2014) (successfully defended City on snowmobile injury caused by pedestrian footbridge tethering cable).
- Newberry v. Burlington Basket Co., 622 F.3d 979 (8th Cir. 2010), cert. denied 131 S. Ct. 1697 (U.S. 2011)(jury verdict affirmed).
- Heaton v. The Weitz Co. Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. Lexis 51219 (N.D. Iowa July 2007) aff’d 543 F.3d 882 (8th Cir. 2008)(jury verdict affirmed).
- Kratzer v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., et al, 295 F.Supp. 2d 1005 (N.D. Iowa 2003) (granting Defendant’s motion for summary judgment), aff’d 398 F.3d 1040 (8th Cir. 2005)(affirmed on appeal).
- The University of Iowa (J.D., 2001) with distinction
- The University of Iowa (B.A., 1993)
Active or formerly active in the following organizations:
- Appointed as Commissioner to the Iowa Department of Transportation by Governor Chet Culver (2008-2012) and reappointed by Governor Terry Branstad (2012 - current)
- Guaranty Bank & Trust Co., Board of Directors (2009-current)
- League of Women Voters, Member
- Linn County Bar Association, Member
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member
- IASB Attorneys, Member
- The Rotary Club of Cedar Rapids, Member
- UnityPoint St. Luke's Hospital Board of Directors (2012 - current)
Additional Biographical Information
- Former Cedar Rapids Broadcast Journalist
- Linn County Trails Association, Past Member of Board of Directors (Vice President - 2007-2008)
- Junior League of Cedar Rapids, Past Member of Board of Directors
- College of Law Moot Court Board, Editor (2000-2001)
- Iowa Bar Association Graduating Senior Award (2001)
Presentations and Publications
- Top 5 things City Managers/Administrators Should Know About Municipal Law (2015)
- FMLA and ADA overview for municipal attorneys (2014)
- Internal Investigations—Presentation for Association of Corporate Counsel (2013)
- ADA and FMLA Refresher Course for SHRM (2013)
- ADA and FMLA Refresher Course (2011)
- Employee Discharge and Documentation (2011)
- Hiring and Firing - How To Do It Right (2009)
- Amendments to the ADA (2008)
- Employment/Immigration Law (2007)
- Employee Handbooks (2006)
- The Termination Process (2006)
- Employee Discharge and Documentation (2005)
- The Employment Process, Practical Application of Employment Law (2004)