Amy L. Reasner
Ms. Reasner’s general practice includes the areas of labor and employment law, insurance defense, and internal investigations. She regularly represents a wide range of clients including insurance companies, businesses and cities, counties and school districts. Ms. Reasner frequently assists employers in finding common sense solutions on day-to-day issues involving FMLA and other leaves of absence, employees with disabilities, and absenteeism issues as well as risk avoidance in matters involving employee hiring, discipline, and discharge. In addition, Ms. Reasner is often retained by employers to conduct internal investigations on a variety of employment related matters such as discrimination, harassment, and ethics and policy violations.
Also an experienced trial lawyer, Ms. Reasner has tried many cases before courts, juries, and arbitrators in all types of business and employment disputes. She also regularly obtains summary judgment for her clients in employment law cases, and has successfully defended numerous cases on appeal.
- Recognized as a "Woman of Influence," Corridor Business Journal (2011)
- Recognized in 40 under 40 Community Leaders, Corridor Business Journal (2007)
- Leadership For Five Seasons graduate, Cedar Rapids Chamber of Commerce (2005-2006)
Cases and Experience
- Deeds v. City of Marion, Iowa, et al, - N.W.2d - (Case No. 16-1666, June 22, 2018) (Representing the City with Holly A. Corkery: Iowa Supreme Court affirmed summary judgment to City in a disability discrimination case).
- Edwards v. Clinton County, Iowa et al, case no. LACV043383 (Clinton Co. Iowa February 16, 2018) (Representing the County with Holly A. Corkery, summary judgment granted to County in gender discrimination case).
- Millard v. City of Clinton, Iowa, case no. 3:15-cv-00045 (S.D. Iowa 2016) (with Patrick J. O’Connell, summary judgment granted to City in disability discrimination case)
- Avnet, Inc. v. Catalyst Resource Group, LLC and David Wild, --- F.3d ---, 2015 Westlaw 4031901 (8th Cir. 2015) (successfully defended Avnet on appeal regarding the assignability of a guaranty for a promissory note).
- Basquin v. City of Fairbank, Iowa, 847 N.W. 2d 236 (Iowa Ct. App. 2014) (successfully defended City on snowmobile injury caused by pedestrian footbridge tethering cable).
- Newberry v. Burlington Basket Co., 622 F.3d 979 (8th Cir. 2010), cert. denied 131 S. Ct. 1697 (U.S. 2011)(jury verdict affirmed).
- Heaton v. The Weitz Co. Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. Lexis 51219 (N.D. Iowa July 2007) aff’d 543 F.3d 882 (8th Cir. 2008)(jury verdict affirmed).
- Kratzer v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., et al, 295 F.Supp. 2d 1005 (N.D. Iowa 2003) (granting Defendant’s motion for summary judgment), aff’d 398 F.3d 1040 (8th Cir. 2005)(affirmed on appeal).
- The University of Iowa (J.D., 2001) with distinction
- The University of Iowa (B.A., 1993)
Active or formerly active in the following organizations:
- Appointed as Commissioner to the Iowa Department of Transportation by Governor Chet Culver (2008-2012) and reappointed by Governor Terry Branstad (5/2012 - 4/2016)
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- Cedar Rapids Bank & Trust, Board of Directors
- Guaranty Bank & Trust Co., Board of Directors (2009-2017)
- IASB Attorneys, Member
- Iowa Council of School Board Attorneys, Member
- Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association, Member
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member
- League of Women Voters, Member
- Linn County Bar Association, Member
- UnityPoint St. Luke's Hospital Board of Directors (2012 - 2017)
Additional Biographical Information
- Former Cedar Rapids Broadcast Journalist
- Linn County Trails Association, Past Member of Board of Directors (Vice President - 2007-2008)
- Junior League of Cedar Rapids, Past Member of Board of Directors
- College of Law Moot Court Board, Editor (2000-2001)
- Iowa Bar Association Graduating Senior Award (2001)
Presentations and Publications
- The Ins and Outs of Sexual and other types of Harassment –Various Seminars (2017)
- Workplace Threat Assessment Tools and Policies-EIHRA/SHRM (2017)
- Job Descriptions and Performance Reviews-IAPELRA (2017)
- Antiquated Ordinances, Policies and Procedures -Iowa Municipal Managers Institute (2017)
- Top 5 things City Managers/Administrators Should Know About Municipal Law (2015)
- FMLA and ADA overview for municipal attorneys (2014)
- Internal Investigations—Presentation for Association of Corporate Counsel (2013)
- ADA and FMLA Refresher Course for SHRM (2013)
- ADA and FMLA Refresher Course (2011)
- Employee Discharge and Documentation (2011)
- Hiring and Firing - How To Do It Right (2009)
- Amendments to the ADA (2008)