Wilford H. Stone
Mr. Stone’s general practice includes the areas of labor and employment law, insurance defense, and litigation. Mr. Stone regularly represents management and has served as chief negotiator for dozens of Iowa cities and school districts in collective bargaining. He has over 30 years of litigation experience, and has tried hundreds of cases before courts, juries, and arbitrators, and won dozens of cases on summary judgment. In addition to defending cities and counties, Mr. Stone has litigated cases on behalf of companies in a variety of commercial litigation and industries, including avionics, health care, insurance products, and manufacturing. He also has substantial experience in FLSA and ERISA benefits class action litigation. He spends a significant amount of time representing police officers and police departments on alleged excessive use of force, alleged misuse of electronic control devices and chemical and pepper sprays, officer involved shootings, and alleged unlawful search and seizure cases. Finally, combining his legal training with his experience working with human resource professionals, Mr. Stone provides clear and candid advice to clients on sound H.R. and labor relations practices.
Cases and Experience
- Life Investors Insurance Co. of America v. Federal City Region, et. al., 878 F.3d 648 (8th Cir. 2018) (summary judgment for insurance company affirmed on appeal involving alleged breaches of fiduciary duties and conversion). See also 804 F.3d 908 (8th Cir. 2015) and 687 F.3d 1117 (8th Cir. 2012) (prior litigation between the parties over management of the trust and ratification of settlement agreement between parties).
- Basquin v. City of Fairbank, Iowa, 847 N.W. 2d 236 (Iowa Ct. App. 2014) (successfully defended City on snowmobile injury caused by pedestrian footbridge tethering cable).
- Kallail v. Alliant Energy Corporate Services, 691 F.3d 925 (8th Cir. 2012) (successfully defended employer on disability claim involving shift rotation and accommodation request)
- Browder v. Aetna, Inc., 378 F. App. 591 (8th Cir. 2010) (successfully defended health insurance company on bad faith claim)
- Heaton v. The Weitz Company, Inc., 534 F.3d 882 (8th Cir. 2008) (successful jury verdict affirmed on retaliation claim)
- Western Reserve Life (WRL)/AEGON USA Inc. vs. Bratton Financial Services International et al, 2007 U.S. District Lexis 46351 (N.D. Iowa 2007), subsequent history at 464 F.Supp.2d 814 (N.D. Iowa 2006) (successful declaratory judgment on behalf of insurance company)
- Attorney's Process & Investigation Services Inc. v. Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa, 401 F.Supp.2d. 952 (N.D. of Iowa 2005); affirmed in relevant part, 609 F.3d 927 (8th Cir. 2010) (local counsel in successful preliminary injunction defense)
- Kratzer v. Rockwell Collins, Inc., 398 F.3d 1040 (8th Cir. 2005) (successfully defended employer on age, disability and retaliation claims)
- In Re: Sac & Fox Tribe/Meskwaki Casino Litigation, 340 F.3d 749 (8th Cir. 2003) (local counsel in tribal leadership dispute over casino and tribal facilities)
- Horton v. Rockwell International Corporation, 93 F.Supp.2d. 1048 (N.D. Iowa 2000) (successfully defended age, race, and retaliation claims in failure to hire case)
- Joslin v. Rockwell International Corporation, 8 F.Supp.2d 1158 (N.D. Iowa 1998) (successfully defended employer on FMLA claim)
- Buchholz v. Rockwell International Corporation, 120 F.3d 146 (8th Cir. 1997) (successfully defended employer on appeal of defense verdict on age discrimination claims)
- Georgetown University Law Center, Master of Labor Law (1987)
- The University of Iowa (J.D., 1984) with distinction
- Cornell University, New York State School of Industrial and Labor Relations (M.I.L.R., 1980)
- The College of Wooster (B.A., 1978)
Active or formerly active in the following organizations:
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Iowa Chapter
- ARC of East Central Iowa (Professional of the Year, 2005)
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Linn County
- Cedar Valley Humane Society
- Iowa Legal Aid (2010 Award for Pro Bono Service)
- Iowa Association of School Boards
- Iowa City/County Management Association
- Iowa League of Cities
- Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association
- Iowa Municipal Management Institute
- National Czech/Slovak Museum and Library
Additional Biographical Information
- Iowa Super Lawyers, 2018-2019, Employment and Labor Law
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, 2018-2019, Employment and Labor Law
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law, 2018-2019, Management and Litigation
- Arbitrator, Commercial and Employment panel, American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator, Iowa Public Employment Relations Board (1997-2007)
- Governor’s Volunteer Award, 2000 (Iowa Civil Rights Commission)
- Staff Counsel to the NLRB/Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation Branch, in Washington from 1984-1987
Presentations and Publications
- Defending law enforcement on claims of excessive force, 2018
- Unlawful Harassment in the Workplace, Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance, March 2018
- FLSA overtime, on call and independent contractor issues, 2017
- Several tips for allowing nonexempt employees to telecommute, 2017
- Is it time to revamp antiquated city ordinances, policies, and practices, Iowa Municipal Managers Institute, 2017.
- Avoiding liability for slip and fall cases on city sidewalks, City Scape, Iowa League of Cities, October, 2016.
- Contributor, 2016 Iowa Municipal Policy Leaders' Handbook (A guide for Iowa Mayors and Council Members), The University of Iowa Institute of Public Affairs.
- Top 5 things City Managers/Administrators Should Know About Municipal Law, 2015